Church History

In 1889, the Presbytery of Champlain resolved to plant churches in the last great mission field of the East - the Adirondack Mountains. Rev. Richard McCarthy was commissioned to undertake the task of establishing churches and preaching stations at various locations, including Saranac Lake. On July 25, 1890, Rev. McCarthy and 17 organizing members celebrated their first service of worship in the church, which still lacked windows and pews.

Inspired by the beauty of our Adirondack surroundings, we continue to reach out to a world hungry and thirsty for good news with vital programs of mission and celebration.

About the building

Our church building retains the charm and grace of 1890, replete with Tiffany windows, Arts & Crafts lighting, and remarkable woodwork, but we've grown and changed over the years to encompass a splendid Great Hall, a kitchen, and classrooms. A lovely Holtkamp pipe organ and modern spinet keyboard provide accompaniment for hymns and special music.

The church's bell is located not in the present steeple but in a wooden tower standing over the ramp that leads to the building's side entrance.

The Great Hall is a popular meeting site as well as a perfect facility for many community and family events and celebrations. For more information, visit our Building Use (link)page.